Saturday, February 18, 2012

How to make shiitake mushroom logs




Last year, I inoculated two oak trees with shitake mushroom spawn. For the longest time I thought I didn't do it correctly because the logs, after almost a year, had yet to bear any mushrooms.

That all changed last month when they started producing. We've stir-fried a couple of them and they were delicious.

Please don't consider the video "expert advice," as those were just my first logs. We bought our spawns from Maine. You can find additional advice here.



4 comments:

Ken said...

Step 11: Buy a chainsaw

Tesaje said...

I did this in the 1980s. It took our logs a while to start bearing but then, lots and lots of them for several years. So many, I dried the excess 'rooms that we couldn't eat.

VJP said...

I'm going to do this. What else could I grow in the woods?

Ken said...

Tesaje--It's hard to imagine so many, but hopefully!

VJP--Not sure, but good luck. I'm guessing you have a chainsaw, which will probably make the process 4x faster than it was for me.