Sunday, May 8, 2011

Groundhog Day

There's a groundhog that lives in a hole near the orchard. We're don't know its sex, but we've been calling it "Mr. Groundhog." Mr. Groundhog, in one way or another, has produced at least two babies.

From the house, David spotted this baby in the front lawn. When it turned it's back, I snuck up a few steps and when it looked my way I stayed still. Every time it turned its back I moved closer, and it didn't seem to notice me as long as I was standing still. Finally, I got within five feet of it. It looked at me curiously, but clearly unperturbed, as I stood as still as I possibly could, quietly snapping photos.





Here's a video of it, when it finally chose to waddle away.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I love groundhogs! I know they can be really destructive to gardens, but I love the way they stand on their back legs and survey the scene.